Tuesday 9 December 2014

Ludum Dare 31: A Grimm Journey


At 2:55am this morning, five minutes before the window closed, we made our submission to the Ludum Dare 31 Jam! Our finished game is a same-screen-co-op-platform-beat-'em-up called A Grimm Journey. Concept and design by Laura Mitchell and code by Rob de Jager and myself.

We decided to interpret the theme 'Entire Game on One Screen' less rigidly than some, making our game-world a shadow puppet play on a projector 'screen'. Some of the mechanics were based on the prototypes I prepared earlier in the week, but other than that, all the code, design, artwork and assets were prepared over the 72 hours.

I'm very proud of our little creation, especially considering it was my first game. I think we were too ambitious with a lot of our ideas and left no time for balancing, tweaking and play testing, however we ultimately managed to pump out a good-looking game with some interesting mechanics, even if the submitted build was a little rough.

Click here to check it out on the LD website (Windows/OSX downloads).

I'll write up a quick rundown of the development progression some time this week.


No comments:

Post a Comment